William E. Hosler
- p. 248.642.0333 ext. 309
“When we began expanding our Michigan based business, one thing became clear to us—we needed a good attorney. Will Hosler is a great attorney. Over the past fifteen years, Will and his team at Williams, Williams, Rattner and Plunkett, have helped us with every aspect of our business, including title insurance litigation, settlement negotiations, contract drafting and guidance on corporate structure and strategies. Having a trusted advisor to consult with has been an integral part of our success. In hindsight, retaining Will Hosler and the firm of Williams, Williams, Rattner and Plunkett is one of the best things we could have done for ourselves and our business.”
~ Mark and Leigh Kraushaar, Bell Title Company
William E. Hosler has over 30 years of experience in general civil litigation and business law. His practice focuses on real property, title insurance, and municipal law.
Mr. Hosler has represented national, regional, and local title insurance companies (both underwriters and agents) in complex litigation involving title and escrow matters, regulatory compliance, business formation and administration, and creation of joint ventures and related affiliations. He has successfully represented developers, homeowner’s associations, real estate salespersons and brokers, and individuals in all manner of real property disputes including construction litigation, condemnation and eminent domain actions, breach of contract, trespass, boundary line encroachment, elimination and creation of easements, and valuation claims. His real estate experience extends to zoning and general municipal law matters, including serving as the Township Attorney for a local community.
Will’s practice also involves the creation, administration, and litigation of probate estates. He is available for general domestic relations counseling, including divorce litigation. He is frequently appointed as an Oakland County circuit court case evaluator, and has served as an expert witness in real property disputes.
Will has lectured and written extensively on real property law issues, including publications in the State Bar of Michigan Real Property Review and the Oakland County Bar Association’s monthly publication, Laches.
- State Bar of Michigan, Member (1988 to present)
- Real Property Law Section, Member (1988 to present)
- RPLS/Land Title Standards Committee, Member (2002 to present)
- RPLS/Titles & Conveyancing Committee, Member (2005 to present)
- RPLS/Residential Transactions Committee, Member (2011 to present)
- Municipal Law Section, Member (2005 to present)
- Standing Committee on Character and Fitness, Advisory Member (2013 to present)
- District I Subcommittee on Character and Fitness, Member (2007 to 2013; Chairman, 2011 to 2013)
- Oakland County Bar Association, Member (1988 to present)
- Real Property Law Section, Member (1988 to present; Chairman 1997 to 1998)
- Municipal Law Section, Member (1990 to present)
- Public Advisory Committee on Judicial Candidates (2004)
- Oakland County Bar Foundation, Member (2011 to present)
- Michigan Land Title Association, Member (1994 to present)
- City of Bloomfield Hills
- Mayor pro tem
- City Commission, Commissioner (2017 to present)
- Zoning Board of Appeals, Member (2013 to 2015; 2018)
- Planning Commission, Member (2015 to 2017; 2018 to present)
- City of Royal Oak
- Charter Review Committee (1996 to 1998; Chairman, 1998)
- St. Anne’s Mead, Assisted Living and Nursing Care Facility
- Board of Directors (2013 to 2018; Executive Officer, Secretary)
- Boy Scouts of America
- Adult leader (2005 to 2015)
Honors & Awards
- Michigan Super Lawyers (2018 to present)
- State Bar of Michigan (Admitted 1988)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 6th Circuit (Admitted 2001)
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan (Admitted 1988)
U.S. District Court, Western District of Michigan (Admitted 2012)
- Successfully representing various national title insurance underwriters in complex litigation regarding agent defalcation, asset recoveries, and claims defense.
- Successfully representing many local and regional title insurance agents in various transactional and litigation matters.
- Extensive experience in zoning and municipal law, including active service as Township Attorney for a local community.
- Counsel for a charter school Montessori academy, providing transactional and litigation services.
- Corporation counsel for a multi-state medical supply company.
- Corporation counsel for a multi-state servo hydraulic repair company.
- Corporation counsel to a variety of start-up companies, including computer software, programming and engineering.
- Counsel to various homeowner’s associations, providing both transactional and litigation services.
- Extensive experience with the Michigan construction lien act and related litigation.
- Extensive experience with condemnation and eminent domain litigation, including the representation of individuals in opposition to, and governmental agencies in pursuit of, the condemnation process.
- Successful representation of the developer of an elder care campus in complex litigation involving breach of contract, trespass, boundary line encroachment and valuation claims involving multiple private and municipal parties.
- Counsel to a large regional hospital regarding certain employee matters, including personal protection orders.
- Administration of various probate estates, including matters of guardianship, conservatorship, complex business litigation and wrongful death.
- Familiarity with federal immigration law and bankruptcy practice.
- Domestic relations counseling, including divorce litigation.
News & Insights
- Eleven attorneys from Williams, Williams, Rattner & Plunkett, P.C., in Birmingham, Michigan, were named to the 2018 Michigan Super Lawyers and Rising Stars lists.September 10, 2018
- Michigan Real Property Review, Spring 2015
- Michigan Real Property Review, Winter 2012
- Michigan Real Property Review, Spring 2007
- Michigan Real Property Review, Summer 1998
Articles & Publications
- "Equitable Exceptions to Enforceability of Restrictive Covenants by Injunction in Michigan"
Michigan Real Property Review, Spring 2015 (cited by the Michigan Supreme Court in Thiel v. Goyings, July 24, 2019)
- Contributing author, Michigan Land Title Standards, Sixth Edition (Publication of the Real Property Law Section of the State Bar of Michigan), 2013
- "Deed Restrictions and Restrictive Covenants in Michigan"
Michigan Real Property Review, Winter 2012
- "Deed Restrictions In Michigan"
Michigan Real Property Review, Spring 2007
“Land Patents: A Real Myth”, Laches (Oakland County Bar Association publication), 1999
- “Easements and Access Issues”, Laches (Oakland County Bar Association publication), 1998
- "Restrictive Covenants In Michigan"
Michigan Real Property Review, Summer 1998
- Michigan State University Law School, J.D., cum laude (1988)
- Denison University, B.A. (1981)