Brian E. Etzel
- p. 248.642.0333 ext. 336
For more than 20 years, Brian has litigated cases in state and federal courts throughout Michigan, as well as bankruptcy courts, administrative tribunals, and arbitration proceedings.
Focusing his practice on business litigation, Brian has extensive experience representing and counseling individuals and privately held companies. He has successfully handled many shareholder and corporate governance disputes, often involving shareholder oppression, shareholder derivative rights, business valuations, buy-sell agreements, and employment and non-compete issues. He has also represented landowners and real estate developers in a variety of land use contexts, including zoning, eminent domain, and construction litigation.
Brian also prosecutes commercial and residential property tax appeals, with an emphasis on appeals involving commercial properties, real estate development, and private and public golf courses. He has tried cases before the Michigan Tax Tribunal and has argued tax appeal issues in Michigan appellate courts.
Brian has been honored by his peers through his inclusion on the list of Michigan Super Lawyers each year since 2013. Several of his successful case results over the years have been featured on the annual list of top settlements and verdicts published in Michigan Lawyers Weekly.
- State Bar of Michigan
- Oakland County Bar Association
- German American Chamber of Commerce – Michigan Chapter
- Executive Board, Charlotte’s Wings
Honors & Awards
- Best Lawyers in America© (2021)
- Fellow, Michigan Political Leadership Program (2007)
- Michigan Super Lawyers (2013 to present)
- Michigan Super Lawyers – Rising Stars (2008)
- State of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
News & Insights
- August 20, 2020
- September 9, 2019
- Eleven attorneys from Williams, Williams, Rattner & Plunkett, P.C., in Birmingham, Michigan, were named to the 2018 Michigan Super Lawyers and Rising Stars lists.September 10, 2018
Articles & Publications
- “The Money’s Gone! Prosecuting ERISA Fiduciary Liability Claims: A Road Map for Bankruptcy Trustees,” American Bankruptcy Trustee Journal, Summer 2010
- University of Detroit Mercy School of Law, Juris Doctor, 1995
- Member, University of Detroit Mercy Law Review
- Hope College, Bachelor of Arts in Political Science and Government, 1991
- 4-year letter winner, Hope College Football (all-conference selection, 1989-90)
- Washington Honors Semester 1990