Alexander A. Ayar
- p. 248.642.0333 ext. 339
Alex is an award-winning attorney who focuses on complex commercial litigation disputes. His clients appropriately seek his legal counsel in matters of the highest importance, including when the company is on the line, and a comprehensive legal strategy from an experienced attorney is required. His clients include large corporations (domestic and foreign), closely-held entities, startups, and individuals who rely on him for sensible advice and creative solutions in the courtroom, the boardroom, and at the negotiating table.
The cases Alex handles show the depth and breadth of his practice. With tens of millions of dollars at stake, he successfully defended an entrepreneur, his spouse, and his business, securing a dismissal after revealing the plaintiffs engaged in fraud. For a well-known rock band, Alex secured a settlement – proposed by the plaintiff – right before closing arguments; he later learned the jury nicknamed him “The Ninja” because of his cross-examination and presentation skills.
In another impressive victory, Alex persuaded the court to enforce non-compete agreements against key employees who disingenuously claimed his client never presented them with the restrictive covenants. On behalf of a bank, he secured the appointment of a receiver to run a struggling business customer, ultimately leading to payment of all damages to the bank, including attorney’s fees. And in a noteworthy case against a wind turbine company, Alex negotiated a favorable settlement for his Chinese manufacturer client after uncovering an underlying email fraud scheme.
Alex’s talents include appellate advocacy, too. In one matter spanning six years of litigation, prior to Alex’s involvement, a court held a high-level auto executive in contempt, issued a bench warrant for his arrest, entered a multimillion judgment against him, and dismissed the executive’s appeal. After he retained Alex as his counsel, Alex convinced the Court of Appeals to reinstate the appeal and persuaded the Appellate Court that the trial court lacked subject matter jurisdiction. All orders, judgments, and even the bench warrant against the executive were ruled unenforceable and vacated.
Highly regarded by his peers, Alex has been repeatedly named to the lists of Michigan Super Lawyers and DBusiness Top Lawyers. In 2018, the Oakland County Executive included him among the Elite 40 Under 40, and in 2016, Michigan Lawyers Weekly selected him to its class of Up & Coming Lawyers. That same year, the Michigan Legislature presented Alex with a special tribute acknowledging his “advanced legal acumen, devotion to clients, and an exemplary reputation in the legal field.”
Alex gives back to the legal profession through his leadership and contributions to various federal, state, and local bar associations and Blue Ribbon Legal Commitees, such as his multi-term service on the Judicial Advisory Committee for the United States District Court for The Eastern District of Michigan. As a member of the Judicial Advisory Committee, Alex actively participates in vetting and recommending individuals to fill federal district court vacancies – recommendations that ultimately reach the White House for use in making judicial appointments. He also serves his community as an active member of the Chaldean American Chamber of Commerce and the Chaldean Federation of America.
- Judicial Advisory Committee, Eastern District of Michigan, 2013 to present
- State Bar of Michigan
- Judicial Qualifications Committee
- Character & Fitness District Committee
- Client Protection Fund Committee
- Litigation, Business Law, and Appellate Law Sections
- American Bar Association
- Chaldean American Bar Association
- President, 2011-2012
- Member, 2006 to present
- Oakland County Bar Association
- Oakland County Bar Foundation
- Fellow, 2008 to present
- Chaldean American Chamber of Commerce
- Chaldean Federation of America
- Historical Society for the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
Honors & Awards
- Oakland County Executive Elite 40 Under 40, 2018
- Special Tribute Recipient from the Michigan Legislature, 2016
- Michigan Super Lawyers (Business Litigation), 2021 to present
- Michigan Super Lawyers Rising Stars (Business Litigation), 2013-2016
- DBusiness Top Lawyers (Business Litigation), 2017-2018, 2021 to present
- Michigan Lawyers Weekly Up & Coming Lawyers, 2016
- Attorney on the Rise, Chaldean American Bar Association, October 2016
- Avvo Rating: Superb (highest possible rating)
- U.S. Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
News & Insights
- Wayne State University Law School, Juris Doctor, 2006
- President, St. Thomas More Society
- Intern, Chief Judge of the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- Oakland University, Bachelor of Science, with honors, 2003