David R. Sheaffer
- p. 248.642.0333 ext. 348
David Sheaffer counsels clients in business, corporate, commercial litigation, real estate, and family law matters.
A native of the Pacific Northwest, David’s experience with putting out fires – both literally and figuratively – started after he earned his undergraduate degree, magna cum laude, from Washington State University. As a wildland firefighter with the Idaho Department of Lands, David served on the frontlines, battling blazes and preventing widescale destruction. Looking for a somewhat less dangerous profession and more stable home life, he enrolled at Michigan State University College of Law.
In law school, David excelled both in and out of the classroom. While earning his Juris Doctor, summa cum laude, he served as Articles Editor of the Michigan State Law Review and enjoyed success in several intramural and national moot court competitions. David also augmented his coursework through legislative and judicial externships with the Michigan State Senate, the Michigan House of Representatives, the Research Division of the Michigan Court of Appeals, and Michigan Supreme Court Justice Bridget McCormack.
David is committed to giving back to the community. In law school, he organized student volunteer efforts with the Greater Lansing Area Food Bank and assisted low-income citizens prepare and file their tax returns. He now guest lectures at MSU Law and continues to advise and coach its nationally ranked moot court teams.
David was a law clerk at Williams, Williams, Rattner & Plunkett during his final year of law school. He returned to the firm as an associate following a clerkship with Michigan Supreme Court Justice Richard Bernstein, during which he contributed to important decisions impacting police department procedures, citizen’s and business’s rights to appeal Department of Environmental Quality permitting decisions, and Medicaid eligibility.
A passionate outdoorsman and record-holding fisherman, David is also an avid amateur chef, reader, runner, and chess player.
- State Bar of Michigan
- Appellate Practice and Young Lawyers Sections
- Oakland County Bar Association
- New Lawyers Committee
- Michigan State University College of Law
- Guest Lecturer, Moot Court Competition Co-Director, and Moot Court Coach
- Judicial Law Clerk for Justice Richard Bernstein, Michigan Supreme Court, 2017 – 2018
News & Insights
Articles & Publications
- "TSCA Reform, Preemption, and Manufacturer Influence: Does the New Law Hang States Out to Dry?", Michigan State University College of Law King Scholar Program, May 2017
- "The Price of Regulation: Rethinking Executive Review of Agency Rulemaking," Michigan State Law Review, January 2017
- Michigan State University College of Law, Juris Doctor, summa cum laude, 2017
- Dean Charles H. King Scholar and Trustee Scholarship Recipient
- Articles Editor, Michigan State Law Review
- Teaching Assistant, Civil Procedure
- Research Assistant, Prof. Michael Sant’Ambrogio
- Service Chair, Board of Advocates
- Student Organizer and Volunteer, Greater Lansing Area Food Bank
- Volunteer Income Tax Preparer, Alternative Spring Break Help 100 Tax Campaign
- Washington State University, Bachelor of Science in Natural Resource Sciences, magna cum laude, 2011
- Minor in Sociology
- Secretary, Society of American Foresters (SAF), WSU Chapter